REALLY LOW Demand for Turbo-petrol Variant of New Hyundai Creta

by Mohit Bhardwaj | 05/05/2020
Facebook share twitter share 85 0
Hyundai has received around 20,000 bookings for the Creta to date, but the Turbo-petrol variant could grab only a small bite out of this sales pie.

Hyundai launched the 2020 Creta in the Indian market in March 2020. Recently, after the car was launched, a nationwide lockout was imposed. But, the huge fan following of the Creta helped the carmaker to register some sales in the few days between the launch and everyone confining themselves to their homes. However, let’s talk about the bookings figures here. Till date, Hyundai has received a total of 20,000 bookings for the Creta, out of which, 55 per cent of the total bookings are for the diesel variants.  And, from the remaining 45 per cent, just 5.4 per cent bookings were made for the 1.4-litre turbocharged petrol variant.

ALSO READ

New Hyundai Creta Relishes In Ample Demand Even During Lockdown

In simpler words, Hyundai has received only 1,080 bookings for the Turbo variants of the Creta so far. In comparison to the 1.4L turbo petrol, the N/A 1.5L petrol registered a booking of 7,920 units, while the diesel topped at 11,000 orders. The Turbo variant of the Creta is targeted at those looking for a sportier iteration of the SUV. It comes with a 1400 cc 4-cylinder turbocharged petrol engine that produces a peak power output of 140 PS and a max. torque of 242 Nm. It comes mated to a 7-speed dual-clutch automatic transmission only.

Apart from the engine, the Turbo variant also features some cosmetical changes on the exterior as well as in the interior. But, the turbo petrol motor is only available in the top-end SX and SX(O) variants, which are priced at Rs. 16.16 lakh and Rs. 17.20 lakh, respectively. The SX variant with the 1.5L diesel engine is priced at 15.99 lakh, thus cheaper by Rs. 17,000 in comparison to the Turbo variant. The SX(O) variant, however, is priced similarly with both the engine options. More than anything else, the base 1.5-litre petrol and diesel variants start at Rs 9.99 lakh (ex-showroom), which makes them more accessible than the turbo-petrol unit. Hence, the low demand for the 1.4 Creta doesn't really come as a surprise. 

ALSO READ

7-Seater Hyundai Creta Looks Elegant This Way

REALLY LOW Demand for Turbo-petrol Variant of New Hyundai Creta

Hyundai Creta is offered with 3 enigne options - 1.5L N/A petrol, 1.5L turbo-diesel, and 1.4L Turbo-petrol.

Talking of the fuel efficiency numbers, Hyundai claims an overall mileage figure of 16.18 kmpl for the turbo petrol motor. However, the number rises to 18.5 kmpl for diesel-automatic variants of the car, while the diesel manual variants boast of an even higher figure of 21.4 kmpl. Thus, in a country like ours, where the crowd is mileage-hungry, the Turbo variant of the Creta is expected to sell in low numbers only. Also, we should consider the fact, the option of Turbocharged motor is only available in the top-end variants, whereas a diesel-powered Creta can be bought for as low as Rs. 9.99 lakhs.

Source

Would you like to receive notifications with latest news and car deals from IndianAuto?